26 May 2010

Hyperspace comic tutorial

This time I feel like doing a crazy and useless tutorial, based on the last episode of my webcomic and using a combination of Inkscape and GIMP I will create a space ship jumping into hyperspace (uswd in the last panel of the comic).

The ship
The first step is to make a panel for the comic. Following the style of my comic, I use for that a rectangle with rounded corners colored in a light blue gradient.

inkscape hyperspace

So let's do the ship! For the geeky feel I want to make it look like the Millennium Falcon,
so I start with a circle, made with the ellipses tool while keeping the Ctrl key pressed
inkscape hyperspace

And a second, slightly smaller, circle
inkscape hyperspace

Select both of them (with the Shift key) and using the Align and Distribute dialog align them at the center of the bigger circle.
inkscape hyperspace

With both of them still selected, substract the small circle from the big one to get a ring.
inkscape hyperspace

Duplicate the ring (Edit > Duplicate.
inkscape hyperspace

And resize the copy (keeping the Ctrl key pressed to preserve the aspect ratio) to make it smaller.
inkscape hyperspace


[read more]

3 comments:

  1. Not that useless. Reading your tutorial helped me to learn more than you think. I really am grateful for your inkscape skills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. now you got me intrigued Luya, I present here basic techniques and you are skilled with Inkscape, what could be to learn from here? and right from the staart my target was to be silly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometime it is good to be silly. There will be always some small details from basic techniques that most skilled artists might miss like hyperspace which can be done on inkscape via its extensions. Afterall, there is a moment getting back to the basic is a better way.

    ReplyDelete